waterproofing my canvas tent

 In my previous post on how to waterproof a canvas tent I worked out that I'd need just over 600ml of Nikwax Cotton Proof for my 4m Soulpad Ease bell tent.
I ordered a one litre bottle and diluted 700ml as instructed on the Nikwax website (1 part Cotton Proof to 9 parts water)
With all the black mould killed and the dirt cleaned off the tent (including the squirrel footprints that have appeared overnight)
I used a long handled sponge mop to apply the waterproofing mixture to the whole tent in sections, making sure to wipe off any excess droplets.
After sponging the whole tent I still had loads of Nikwax left in the bucket so I just kept going, focusing more on the areas that I suspect need to deflect more rain - the apex, ridges, corners and seams.

In the end I went round the tent four times before I'd used all the liquid.
It's January in Northern Ireland, so it's wet.  I assumed it would take a long time to dry, but with no rain overnight the flysheet was completely dry in just over 24 hours.

The groundsheet inside was covered in puddles from before I proofed the tent, so I sponged that off and left it to dry.

Of course it rained and I can't pack it away now, but that gives me an opportunity to check that the water now sits in beads on the outside of the tent.

I'm pretty happy with that.  It's raining now, so I'll leave the tent up until it dries and keep an eye on it to see if any spots need a little extra waterproofing.


Comments

  1. Great posts, thanks a million. I moved into my bell tent a few months ago. It's a 6 mitre beast. However any tips on insulation. I live in a ski resort town, it's gping to get pretty nippy! Got carpet for the floor and heaps of wool blankets, but any direction or suggestions on cotton liners?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment