researching beds

This post is just my musings about what I'd like in a Glamping bed, with a few examples that I've noticed during my research.  I'll settle on a design and record the making of my bed(s) in a future post.

Design brief

I’ve thought about it a bit and there’s a few things I’ve decided would be ideal for a proper glamping bed:
  • It must look like a bed. Image is important when glamping. 
    • Preferably an old wooden or maybe an iron framed bed.
  • It has to fold up somehow
    • either small, or else easy to transport (not the same thing)
    • Quick and easy to put up and take down.
  • It needs a quality mattress. 
    • A real mattress would defeat the purpose of a folding bed so it could be:
      • Thin roll up
      • Mattress sections
      • Inflatable (must be battery powered)
  • Storage for bedding within the bed would be a bonus
    • Sheets
    • Duvet
    • Pillows
    • mattress
  • Height adjustable legs for uneven ground would be an important design feature in my eyes but not one single design I've come across has that option.
  • It would also be a bonus if it could be used as a bench seat during the day.

Here are a few images that caught my attention while I was thinking about this.  Some of them are commercial products, others are free plans or plans you can buy to make your own folding bed.

traditional trunk bed

Firstly, my favourite: this absolutely beautiful traditional looking trunk bed.  I couldn't find a source for it - just the images.  Notice how the base folds up and drops down into the bottom trolley, and how the legs fold flat to look like metal straps.  The mattress splits, so a full depth mattress is stored inside the trunk.  It's just a pity the drawer in the bottom trolley needs to be fake.  That would be a great place to store duvet and pillows. And it does look heavy.

Medieval bench 

This next bed is the first design that comes up in every online search:


It's clever, folds down small and looks fantastic open or closed.  Somebody has put a lot of work into this design.  It's a definite contender.  If I make the trunk deeper I could maybe incorporate a section to store bedclothes.
The one slight negative appears to be the time it takes to assemble it.

 Futon

 


Here's a very basic folding slatted bed from https://kdframes.com/products/fold-platform-bed.  I think it's not ideal for our purposes because it will be invisible beneath a mattress.  There's also no storage and when folded it's still quite deep - taking up several inches of valuable storage height.

Muya

The Muya habitat office, available from Alibaba or Aliexpress folds down flat and has a nice traditional wooden bed head.  




recycled tea chests

I really like the simplicity of this design from Aggarwal Folding Beds in India.
It folds very flat and even though it'll never be visible I do like the printed logos which make it look like recycled tea chests or something.  I think I want something that looks less like a camp bed though.

Filing Cabinet

This image is a more modern design than I would make, but the mechanics of it are interesting:














Additional design considerations: 

Should I make a Double bed, single beds or maybe single beds that  somehow clip together into a double?  This will affect mattress choice.
Think about how we’re going to transport it.
Can I take account of the curved wall of the tent? That would be a nice design touch.
Should I allow a slot for the tent pole? This would allow a longer bed, but might be annoying.
Hinges shouldn’t nip inexperienced fingers.
___________________________________________________________

Ideas for improving warmth:

A mosquito net making an inner tent and adding a luxury look
Fleece sheet
Memory foam mattress or mattress topper
Blankets, duvets, sheepskin rug, wool rugs, crocheted everything.

Details to be expanded as the design progresses:

  • §  Folding Frame
  • §  Slats or fabric base
  • §  Head and foot
  • §  Mattress choice
  • §  Storage
  • §  Adjustable legs


Comments